Dog Birthday Cake | Misia Turns 2
Dog Friendly Cake Recipe
Ideal for celebrating special occasions with your pooch, this carrot cake with a twist is dog and human friendly.
I first made this cake last year, for something that the whole family could enjoy as we celebrated Misia's birthday at home.
She was in season so a little miserable, having been cooped up at home for several weeks and we wanted to make the day something special and fun for her.
Everyone in the family was pleasantly surprised and impressed by how good the cake was (expectations were obviously low - this was a dog Birthday cake after all).
So this year rather than re-inventing the wheel, I returned to the same recipe.
It was a hit again, and I even took the left-overs to work to share with my colleagues today - yes, they knew it was Dog Birthday cake (much to my dismay as I wanted to surprise them). But still knowing this, they gave it a try and I went home with an empty container - enough said.
Making your own dog friendly cake, is quicker and easier than you may think!
What you'll need:
- 25cm cake pan or 6 muffin tray
- Whisk or electric hand-mixer
- 1 cup flour - white or whole
- 1 tsp baking soda*
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (natural, no xylitol)
- 1/4 cup of oil
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup honey
- Cinnamon to taste
*If using self-raising flour this can be omitted. Also, xylitol is lethal for dogs when ingested. Always ensure you read ingredients before you feed your dog anything.
- 120g low-fat cream cheese
- 1 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius
- Pre-grease your cake or muffin pan
- Add all cake ingredients to a large bowl, and mix
- Transfer to your pan, bake for 40 minutes or until the top starts to slightly brown.
- Cake will be ready when a skewer comes out clean.
- Transfer to wire rack and let cool
- Whilst the cake is in the oven, you can start on the cream cheese frosring
- Add cream cheese and 1Tbsp of honey to a small bowl and mix
- Frost your cake once it has cooled
- Serve & enjoy!